Speaker FAQs

2024 UC Tech Annual Conference Speaker Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Have questions about your Birds of a Feather, Poster, or Presentation session? We've got answers below. You can expect your audience to be primarily IT staff from UC campuses. Your session time, date, and location details will be available on the UC Tech 2024 website once the conference schedule is released by the end of September.

For any other questions, comments, or concerns, please email uctech@ucdavis.edu.

Speaker Bios and Photos

As a reminder to all session speakers, please go to the UC Tech registration page and modify your Registration Profile with the following items by September 27, 2024:

Birds of a Feather Session

These meetings allow participants with common interests to gather and discuss issues which may not fit within other presentation formats, or for which longer discussions are preferable.

• How much time will be allotted for my session?
  • You will have 45 minutes.
  • Will my session be allowed to go over if I need extra time?
  • No. There may be a session before or after yours, so we ask that speakers be aware of the time and plan accordingly.
  • How will the room be configured for my session?
  • The rooms are configured audience-style.
  • Can I reconfigure the room layout during my session?
  • Unless specifically noted to you, please do not reconfigure the room since there may be a session before or after yours.
  • What is the room capacity for my session?
  • Your room can accommodate up to 40 attendees.

Poster Session

These sessions demonstrate the use of an emerging technology or innovative practice for teaching and learning, typically in the early stages of development.

• Do I need to buy my own foam board for my poster?
  • No. 30" wide x 40” tall foam boards and double-sided tape will be available for pick-up at the information desk in the UC Davis Conference Center.
  • Do I need to bring my own standing easel?
  • No. We will have standing easels set up for you on the second floor of the Mondavi Center where poster sessions are held.
  • Poster Drop-off and Pick-up Instructions
  • You should drop off your finished poster on a foam board to the information desk in the UC Davis Conference Center on Monday morning (Oct. 28), ideally before or after the morning Welcome Event. A designated volunteer will collect all posters mid-morning, transport them to the Mondavi Center, and set them up on standing easels.

You can pick up your poster on the second floor of the Mondavi Center before 5 p.m. on Tuesday (Oct. 29). Any posters left behind will be discarded.
  • When can I present my poster? Do I have to present at all?
  • You have the option to speak about your poster on Monday (Oct. 28) from 12:15-12:45 p.m. and Tuesday (Oct. 29) from 12:30-1 p.m. Feel free to present on one or both days, or you can choose to not present at all. 
  • How should I prepare for my session?
  • If you choose to speak about your poster, we recommend you prepare a few introductory remarks (1-2 minutes) to engage listeners in the subject.
  • Poster Resources
  • Check out these resources for various poster formatting tips:
    - Fixing Academic Posters: The #BetterPoster Approach
    - Towards an #EvenBetterPoster: Improving the #BetterPoster Template
    - Designing Conference Poster
  • 2024 UC Tech Annual Conference-branded Logo
  • Feel free to use our design for your poster: 2024 UC Tech Annual Conference logo.

Presentation Session

These sessions are opportunities to present a topic in detail.

• What do I need to bring for my session?
  • Please bring your own presentation laptop.

We also recommend that you bring the following items:
    - Your own laptop chargers and batteries as backup.
    - Your own recording equipment if you’d like to record your session. Only keynote sessions will be recorded, not individual sessions.

Additionally, you are responsible for any session handouts prior to the conference.
  • What will my room be equipped with?
  • Each session meeting room will be equipped with the standard AV equipment: Wi-Fi, microphones, power outlets, and a projector (HDMI/VGA). Volunteers will be available to provide technical support.
  • 2024 UC Tech Annual Conference-branded Presentation Template
  • If you are using a slide deck, feel free to use our design: 2024 UC Tech Annual Conference PowerPoint Template.
  • Presenter Resources
  • Check out the EDUCAUSE Presenter Concierge for presentation best practices. Use Presentation Zen Design Tips to strengthen your visual aids.
  • Do I need to upload my presentation somewhere before the conference?
  • No. We recommend you keep a copy of your presentation on your local laptop in case of network issues, as well as upload your materials to your cloud storage platform of choice.
  • You will have 45 minutes, including any Q&A.
  • Your room can accommodate up to 100 attendees.